Thursday, August 4, 2011

Politics- I know nothing of it!

The previously posted definition is a result of my ongoing state of severe unrest which the daily news have caused. What has happened to our politicians? Were there really people like Baba Ambedkar, Sardar Patel, Dr.Rajendra Prasad, Shastriji? Or, are these fictional characters like Krishna and Ram?

I have not known any Indian politician belonging to "my times", whom i can remember with respect; who stirs feelings of "Indianness" in me; who makes me try to be like him/her.

It was not always like this. A few years ago, i had immense respect and liking for one of our politicians. She is continuously taunted for not being "Indian", therefore not being understanding enough of our well-being. I thought nothing of those petty remarks and disliked the section of people who in my opinion were not focused on the real work that the lady was doing for us. I had been in awe of her sheer grit, strength, iron-will, focus, attention to detail, and the way she had brought back her party to power, after its unforgettable downfall. The party was not communal, people friendly and catered to the needy and poor; so, even the party gained my respect and acceptance.

Before embarking upon the story further, let me first explain that i am, by no means a "Gyaani of Politics". Till now, i was a happy, typical "common man", who is solely interested in what affects his/her life.

So, why the outburst???

This "common man" has suddenly found her life plagued by hundreds of issues in a head-on collision. No matter from which angle i try to look at them, they seem to be connected to today's political scenario.

Delving further into the flashback, when there was a time that i was supporting the party for its ideology, i was also disliking its biggest opponent party for being too religion-centric and not doing enough (it was still in power then). I had secretly hoped that it's "India Shining" campaign would nose dive. I smiled. My prayers were answered. My favourite party got elected to the Centre with a wide margin. All through those 5 years, i could not stop appreciating the developmental work done in our country, the employment opportunities generated, etc, etc. Come election time again, and i was superbly confident of the win of my favourite party again.

Is that confidence still there? Has the smile widened or waned? Am i any more respectful of my then favourite party or the hard-working lady from that party? How have i changed?

2 comments:

Varun said...

I think that was the attitude of every other person who brought this party to power. Now they have got the power, they are looting common people like anybody. They don't have shame left whatsoever. Whoever they are, whether that lady or her son or her party workers. All are looting common man.

Now crushing Anna Hazare's ideology who is sincere and almost giving his life for common people. People should have understood this in the beginning. Lot of minds still need to be required to change.

Avani said...

Thanx Varun,, it feels good to know that i am not the only 'fool'! :) The same emotion is running through many of my fellow countrymen.

You are right. They have crossed all limits of shamelessness, and are only focused on filling their own kitties with several thousands of crores of the citizen's money! I am amazed.

We should not let the 'looters' crush Hazare sahab's efforts!! I have promised myself this..