Friday, August 19, 2011

Anna Hazare Sahab and the Jan Lokpal bill- My feelings, My Expectations!


Anna Hazare - A name, then, i had never heard of; and now, i am extremely proud of.

Some people are his fierce, extremely loyal supporters, some his ardent critics, some call him "Aaj ka Gandhi", some even include him among the corrupt.

What does he mean to me? He, to me, is a ray of hope, a flicker of light in the darkness, a sign of clarity in my earlier state of utter confusion.
Yes, i am not a "Delhi Belly" fan; i don't approve of songs like "Dum Maaro Dum- Unche se uncha banda..". But, i don't always acknowledge this in public because i am not sure how the people around me would react to my sensibilities. Day after day, things like these and many more, would get me depressed over where we are taking our country; why is there moral degradation among our youth; why guys and girls of my age-group don't take our cultural heritage seriously; why even my friends make fun of me when i talk vehemently about morality, truth and humanity?

This great man- Hazare sahab, has shown me that the same youth who used to hide its Emotional Quotient behind its Intelligence Quotient, can stir up the whole system once it understands its own importance, the part it plays in our society.

Hazare sahab is hailed by men and women alike, by both young and old. People from all castes, religions, and all walks of life have gathered in his support. Am i dreaming? This has given me extreme happiness and made me so proud of my people all over again.

I had started to live in a bubble where i was exasperated- over the way corruption had eaten away the whole system; over how those elected to power by us to take us to new heights, had thrown us in deeper lows; over the trust in our highly educated and experienced politicians that was shattered; which had created only confusion in my mind about whom to choose when everybody is corrupt and selfish. That is slowly giving way to an altogether different phase of action, hope, energy, increasing clarity.

Jan Lokpal Bill-- A lot has already been said about its advantages over the Government's Lokpal Bill, so i won't go through the technical details of it again. Why do 'i' want it? Why do 'i' support it?

A young politician recently said in a discussion that we have laws in place to curb corruption, those should be enacted upon properly instead of launching another law in the name of Jan Lokpal. They say that there are chances that that one person, the Lokpal can fall prey to corruption too, then who would be responsible for his/her misdeeds?
I agree that the Lokpal can fall prey to corruption too. Then, he can be tried for his acts too. But, is it logical that because of being scared of this one person getting corrupt, a law which can punish hundreds of corrupt officials out there, should not be created?
However, i do not think that there is no need for Jan Lokpal when there are several laws already for prevention and cure of corruption. No, there is no law which asks for dismissal of a senior official at once when he is chargesheeted, there is no law to cause speedy trial and punishment for the corrupt, and for similar other cases.

I was a child when the Monica Lewinsky scandal shook the US. I don't remember the exact details of it, nor did i, then understand the exact nature of Bill Clinton's offence. But, i do remember how i was surprised at the speed and exactness with which the trial against Clinton took place; at the impeachment procedure (though i didn't know what it meant, i was sure it was a kind of, disgracing trial for the accused); and at how simple everything was for them. How could they try the President and punish him too? Weren't they afraid of his 'power'? How come Clinton could not manipulate the judiciary and get away with the blame?

I want trials like these, for the corrupt and accused in our country too; and i expect Jan Lokpal to bring that.

Those on senior posts, the politicians, the 'powerful', are not fearful of the Law. They and their long-distance relatives, and sometimes, even those from their villages feel proud of breaking the law and manipulating things for their own good.

I want this 'Gundaraaj' to end; and i expect Jan Lokpal to do that.

I am not stupidly enthusiastic about the glorious era that Jan Lokpal can bring in our country. I am not a die-hard believer of the fact Jan Lokpal can actually remove all of the existing corruption. I do not have a blind faith on the righteousness of the Jan Lokpal.

But, if truly, Jan Lokpal can not do these things, then why is the government scared of it? Why has the thing come so far that it became a revolution?

I am simply hopeful. And, Thank you Annaji, for waking up the youth; for bringing the 'D.K.Bose.. generation' back to its roots.; for making 'being patriotic' and 'Vande Mataram' fashionable again! Thank you so much!

No comments: