Sunday, April 28, 2019

Transgender in the workforce- A much needed welcome change

The names- Sathyasri Sharmila, Manabi Bandopadhyay,Prithika Yashini, Joyita Mondal.. when you hear these, do they sound any different? No! Right?! Yet, these are pretty different when you look them up in Google. And to me, these names offer relief and pride.
About five years ago, when my daughter was born, we got visitors! I didn't dislike them, but was wary of their attitude which reflected that if they're not given the amount of money they are asking for, they would curse my new-born.. ouch!!!

I don't believe in a curse. But, here they were, yes.. the transgenders, clapping, singing, swaying to the beats of a small dholak like instrument.. were not they living a cursed life themselves all these years? A life which we, the 'privileged' people had gifted them with.. A life which shouted out for an equal treatment.. A life which they had not done anything to be living like..

Back to the story now.. so, I got very angry ( might be the hormones in a lady who had given birth through a C-section recently). I didn't know how to convince them to take the money that I was offering ( no, not fearing the curse, not expecting a wonderful blessing..). I simply wanted them to go.
They would not listen.. wouldn't budge.. wouldn't accept any other amount. Exasperated, I asked them why they didn't work and earn instead of this way of earning a living. They counter questioned me- "Who would give us a job?", " Who would accept us as one of them?"

I muttered but there's a third column for gender now in most of the government jobs applications!

When they left ( we settled for a not-you, not-me amount of money), I kept on thinking for a long time.
And, have always wondered in my heart.. why is it so difficult to accept the transgenders? They appear the same to as 'us'. Not physically obviously, but in all other ways. In fact, some of them are so pretty that you will look twice at them!By not letting them be a part of the workforce, imagine the loss that the economy is bearing every day. We talk about women,stress, diversity, maternity, benefits, and many more issues at the workplace. We have started to talk about diversity in a different light now. The number of people, from the transgender community, being recognised for their calibre and getting accepted in the government jobs is a welcome move. Cheers to each one of such hard working individuals who have made the way for other members of their community to come out of the shadows, the lowly life, the mockery.. This typically proves that the they are as good as any other 'normal' human.
What is the next step that we need to take- welcome them aboard! Show them respect! Admire them for the perseverance! Let us be kind! Let us be real.

No comments: